Monday, October 26, 2009

Albert Art Halloween Custom Vinyl Toys

Custom vinyl toys for Halloween and Dias de los Muertos!

A skeletal contribution to the Halloween holiday theme. Two custom vinyl toys from yours truly: a mini Smorkin' Labbit, and a Mighty Mugg. I've had these toys in the works for a few weeks now, but because I've been busy with a lot of other things going on, (such as the website and festival submissions for my upcoming live-action short film), these guys took some time to get finished.

*For those unfamiliar with toy customization, these vinyl toy platforms were both originally white, and blank, so that artists could create their own designs, with hand-painted craftsmanship, using the toy as a blank canvas.

Lil' Labbit Reaper

I have customized the larger Kozik Labbit before, but this time I wasn't in the mood to work on such a massive toy. I bought this mini labbit, at a local store here in Vancouver, which I think recently closed up shop, unfortunately. Understandable though, since these boutique stores, are really a niche, and if the economy is bad, then who has the 'cash-money' to afford vinyl toy collecting, and purchasing designer threads imported from Tokyo?

Anyway, I really dig, the smaller, 'mini' labbit size, which is much more manageable than it's bigger brother. If I had the time, I could probably knock out more of these custom mini labbits.

The smaller labbit, also comes with some accessories to stick in it's mouth, such as a fountain drink cup and straw, a stick of dynamite, a pacifier, and a pipe (not pictured).

SkelMuggton

This was my first Mighty Mugg, which I purchased backed in July at SDCC. Had this sitting around for a while, and couldn't really think of what to do with it, until it got closer to October.

When working with the toy, I realized how uniform the shape is all around. It's in a way, easy to work with, but on the other hand, it doesn't give much to inspiration, when the front, is exactly the same as the back. However, it's a good alternative from the Munny/Dunny popularity.

I didn't want to get 'anatomically correct' with either of these designs, and preferred to stick with the simple and cartoony look. Black, white, and a bit of red to make it pop.

These toys would look good, at any time of the year. (Yes, even on xmas too). But if you're celebrating Halloween, and Dias de los Muertos, and in the mood for the creepy, and deathly, (yet cute) these toys are just your thing.

Have a safe and happy holiday!

View these toys on my facebook gallery, and on Flickr

1 comment:

PHil-T-Hunter said...

These are freakin tight man!! especially like the accessories on the Labbit. and quite possibly the nicest Mighty Mugg custom I have seen!

And please say it wasn't Voltage that went down love that place!!