Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Haven't touched my Wii Wii in almost a year.

I haven't play my Wii in almost a year. Not since my brother passed away, and the last Wii game we played together was Mario Kart. I haven't touched it, turned it on, or even felt the urge to pick up the controller. Kinda bizarre, but true. My Nintendo-time (what little I have) is solely on the DS.

Without even thinking about Wii, months have passed and it gathers dust. It sits there, near my TV. Neglected? Yes! But I don’t attribute my lack of Wii play time to my brothers passing. In fact, it has nothing to do with that.

There's nothing really calling out to me on the Wii. Nothing compelling enough to make me play it. For now at least, and it's been practically a year since I interacted with the little white console. So many 'exciting' Nintendo Wii announcements made at GDC, but I'm not excited.

Maybe I'm just too busy for videogames these days in general, like finding interest in things other than spending hours on virtual goals. Whatever the case, I haven't been excited about Wii, since well, hmmmm, uh Zelda Twilight Princess?

A friend said, "Maybe you should try Mad World, it'll give you your bloody violent fix on the Wii." I thought to myself, it's not the violent content that would get me to play Wii again, it's something else. I'll stick to my 360 or PC if I wanted to play something bloody, Nintendo Wii has just become, dare I say, irrelevant. That is, in my life.

The DS is another story. It sits there, but at least I've picked it up a few times in the last few months to play some RPG remake. Even then, I don't play it nearly as much as I used to. Maybe Phantasy Star Zero or getting A DSi will change that.

Instead of playing the usual round of Wii sports/Fit games with the family during the Holidays, we played Rockband, Gears of War 2 and Castle Crashers on 360. Recently I've been trying to finish Resident Evil 5.

Could it be that Nintendo Wii just isn't for me? I'm sure, I’m not the only one who thinks this way. A friend of mine actually brought this up in a conversation, a while back, where he totally had an esoteric almost enlightening experience. HOLY SHIT! NINTENDO ISN'T FOR ME, ANYMORE!

I thought he was retarded at the time for thinking like that, but now I'm starting to see what he meant... The Mid-twenties Nintendo neglect.

In trying to make sense of this, I plotted out the times I enjoyed Nintendo - I was either a kid, growing up playing Nintendo NES/SNES/N64, while other times I'm playing Wii on the rare occasion with family gatherings. Other than that, I don't willfully devote my time to Nintendo. The DS is there for convenience in times of random boredom.

Nintendo enters our lives as kids, it hangs in there as Tweens, exits in high school, and comes back when families are involved, baby cousins are born, and when we have families, and kids of our own.

Nintendo is Nintendo, and will always be Nintendo.

I shouldn't be expecting Nintendo to change for me, when I'm the one who is changing. I'll come back to Nintendo eventually, like when I have to pacify my A.D.H.D.-ridden baby cousins... but not right now.

In the mean time, does anyone wanna buy my Wii?

No comments: