Friday, February 03, 2012

M.I.A. A Return to form - Bad Girls VIDEO


I was a bit irked to hear that M.I.A. would be appearing in, and contributing some rhymes to a new Madonna song called, 'Give Me All Your Luvin'. Here I was thinking that M.I.A. had sold out to the bubblegum pop world, losing touch with what made her awesome in the first place, the raw, anti-First World attitude.

Yet, when the music video for the latest M.I.A. track 'Bad Girls' dropped this week, I let out a sigh of relief. Guns, car stunts, burning rubber, a middle eastern setting, kafia scarves galore. A completely unexpected direction from when I first heard the song, pre-video.

Just when you thought she had been watered down for Conservative White America, M.I.A. puts out a video that is not only visually striking, but fucking real.

A return to form.

I was immediately reminded of a video segment about female race car drivers in Palestine, such as the Speed Sisters. http://www.facebook.com/speedsisters These girls love their cars.

Yes, there may be war going on in the middle east, with all sorts of human rights issues, with the outside world looking in, and labelling everyone with dark skin as a 'terrorist' -- M.I.A. ingests it all and spits it back out with a sick video of people just having fun. The video directed by Romain Gavras does a great job of capturing that. To hell with Lawrence of Arabia.




No comments: