Sunday, February 28, 2010

Possibilities with Panasonic AG-3DA1 Twin-Lens 3D Camera

New ways of realizing dreams...

Last year, the topic of 3D filmmaking came up during post-production on my short film, Lazy Susan. Someone suggested that I consider making the film in 3D, to give the it a more dynamic feel. I liked the idea, but as a short film, there were too many complexities, and complications involved when making an effective 3D film on a limited budget. And not to mention festival screenings, and theaters ill-equiped for 3D films, after the fact. How much would obtaining 3D glasses cost for a whole theater? It all seemed overwhelming.

Yes, I think Lazy Susan in 3D, could have been possible, if the AG-3DAI had come out in 2009.

Lazy Susan a short film - VFX Trailer (HD) from Albert Art on Vimeo.

At the time I wasn't too sure about the whole 3D production process, and being already over-budget there was no way of spending more money into making a 3D film.

Flash forward to several months later. Avatar hits theaters, and the push for more 3D in film, and homes is in full swing as a result of Jim Cameron's hard work. My short film Lazy Susan is complete but in 2D, and Panasonic reveals their Twin-Lens 3D Camera, the Panasonic AG-3DA1.

As an owner of a Panasonic HVX, I was surprised to see a 3D camera so soon, and coming from Panasonic, for the independent film community.

I love my HVX. The camera has really given me the ability to realize my vision, at great quality, and for not that much money, but the 3DAI has me rethinking about going 3D.

Panasonic Pavilion Vancouver, BC 2010 Winter Olympics
AG-3DA1 on display.
These glasses look like cartoony sci-fi.
These glasses belong in Mission Impossible.

Viewing the Full HD theater at the Panasonic Pavilion in Vancouver entertained me and many others, with 3D highlights from the Summer Olympic and Winter Olympic games, while the 3DAI camera on display, inspired me. I can now see 3D application in just about anything. From Saturday Morning cartoons, to sports, sitcoms and even adult entertainment. Even the most mundane TV shows, could be made entertaining if viewed in 3D. The 3DA1 camera has many possibilities, and Panasonic is doing a great thing by introducing it.

I can't wait to see the stuff shot with this camera, and I am really curious to learn more about it. I will keep a look out for any "Hands-on" previews of the camera.

Panasonic AG-3DA1 Twin-Lens 3D Camera Demo Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics from Albert Art on Vimeo.

No comments: