Saturday, July 18, 2009

SDCC 09 - Smells like Comic-Con

The pungent stench of Geeks, Nerds, and Dorks.

San Diego Comic-Con is upon us once again, and like every other sci-fi lovin, film/tv obsessed,vinyl toy collecting, videogame fan out there, this 4 day party of converging geekery and pop-culture, is the most wonderful time of the year.

With plenty to see and do for everyone in the family. Like getting autographs from D-list actors from old sci-fi shows, meeting your favorite artists, or sitting in on panels for the most hyped upcoming films (Jim Cameron's Avatar, I'm so there), or just chatting it up with fellow geeks while waiting in line.

This will be my second comic-con ever, so I'm a noob compared to frequent Con-goers, but I'd like to think I'm a little more psychologically prepared this time around, even though preparing yourself for Comic-Con is not really something you can do. The absurd lines ups, the crowds, the unpredictable craziness of grabbing free schwag from the booths like a ravenous pack of animals. It's chaos.

There are plenty of parties around the time of Comic-Con as well, one of which is the Sony Online Entertainment Summer Block Party at their campus 30 minutes away.

I went to this last year, and they had awesome food, drinks, music, and tours of their studio. The issue is, you just gotta catch the shuttle, from the convention center to their studio. If you're strapped from cash at the con, you can pig out compliments of Sony BBQ.

Details via the link.

I'll be tweeting my Con adventures on the days that I'll be there, Twitpics and all. Unfortunately I'm not gonna be there all 4 days, dividing my time up between SD and LA. Technology sure has made mini-blogging aka Tweeting, such an integral part of event coverage. There's no way security at Comic-Con will be able to stop the armies of iPhones. http://twitter.com/albertart

Totally excited.

No comments: