Thursday, July 31, 2008

Back to School with Game Career Guide Fall 2008

Jump start your career path.

Sure it's not even September yet, but with the fall school year fast approaching, it's best to be prepared. Whether you are in middle school, high school, or college, or even a working professional seeking new opportunities, having an idea of what you want to do as a future career never hurts. It is never too early to focus on goals necessary to meet the prerequisites of a particular program or job.

When I was in elementary I remember that I wanted to work in the video game industry. Originally I had thought I would be a music composer, but sometime in high school, I realized I was more artistic with the visual medium then anything else. It was then I gave up on a career in music, and focused on improving artistically. I wanted to be an animator.

During high school, I took part-time courses in Life Drawing, Art History, Computer Animation, and Computer Graphics, at a local community college to build a portfolio to meet the requirements of a film school I wanted to get into -- the ghetto high school I attended lacked the classes. My high school counsellor at first refused to let me take those courses which conflicted with my high school schedule, so I took matters into my own hands. It was the best choice I made, not only helping me get into the film school, but also giving me a leg up early on with art. I ended up doing what I needed to do to become the animator I am today.

Nowadays, students have many more resources available to help them out. The internet, magazines, websites, conferences, and recruiting fairs. High Schools are offering more technical and art courses, and are generally more informed when it comes to helping students get in the "tech industry." Post secondary institutions geared towards gaming are popping up everywhere, with programs ranging from the simple, to the complex, the technical, and academic. Game Developer Magazine, Gamasutra, and Game Career Guide, are offering the best resources for anyone looking to get into gaming, and are great alternatives to the video game hobbyist game review-oriented publications out there. Back when I was a student, these game development resources were unheard of.

The latest issue of Game Developer presents Game Career Guide Fall 2008, once again compiles a slew of useful information. From the disciplines within the industry, to an updated salary survey, directories on schools, and tips to get in. This issue rocks!

Be sure to pick up your copy, along with Game Developer Magazine now.

No comments: