Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, it's actually not that bad!

I remember seeing the trailer to Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles a while back, around the time of Comic Con 2007. At the time, the very idea of the show made me SICK. How could anyone make an episodic series off Terminator, a franchise that did just fine on the big screen? T2 being the BEST, while T3 being, an unfortunate addition. The third film in the series wasn't exactly the greatest. In fact, it gave the audience the impression that the Terminator storyline was over, ending with Skynet destroying cities around the world, while John Connor and Co. remained in the safety of an abandoned military base. And we all know what happens after that. Yet, the story doesn't end with the last movie. Leave it to Hollywood to bring back a perfectly good franchise.

It's no surprise that The Sarah Connor Chronicles, takes place after Terminator 2: Judgment Day, and before T3, which leaves room for more robot fights, and character development in between. The show has been on for several weeks now, and I'm liking what I've seen so far.

TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES represents an exciting reinvention of the "Terminator" franchise, in which the strong and intrepid Sarah discovers that protecting her son and stopping the rise of the machines is more difficult than she had ever imagined.

Never judge a show before actually watching it. I need to remind myself to do that more often. The Sarah Connor Chronicles actually is quite exciting, and stays very close to the Terminator feel. The visual effects are quite impressive (for a show), and the new female Terminator protecting John Connor, is pretty cool too. Though she is quite skinny and far less intimidating, compared to Kristanna Loken in T3, Summer Glau (Firefly) can still pull off the Terminator attitude, and moves when required to. It's always a hilarious to see such a small girl shove much bigger Terminators through walls. She's a different kind of Terminator and I think what makes it work is the fight-scene choreography, which is very reminiscent of the Terminator films.

The show works, and fans of the Terminator franchise should be pleased. It's a pretty good show, that has potential and I wanna see more of it!

Now on another note, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has serious doubts about Knight Rider the Sequel. It features the Son of Michael Knight, and the NEW K.I.T.T. I'll try not to judge the show before actually seeing it.

1 comment:

Saki said...

I'm not sure how I feel about Knight Rider at all... soon they'll bring back The A Team too... where are the writers?!!