Sunday, August 24, 2008

Nintendo at PNE 2008

Pacific National Exhibition

Every summer around the tail end of August comes The Fair at the PNE. The best way to describe the PNE is a large Carnival type event complete with rides, games, fast-food, concerts, Animal shows, music, vendors promoting their wares, psychic fakes, and other entertainment. The PNE is divided into The Fair, and Playland, the latter being where all the rides are. They both share the same grounds though, so I prefer to refer to the entire event as simply, the PNE.

Here in Vancouver we don't have Six Flags, or Knotts Berry Farm, or even anything remotely comparable to such awesome theme parks, all we have is the shitty PNE. I mean it's cool and all if you're a pre-teen, or a sleazy old guy looking to pick up pre-teens or if you're from the boonies looking for a fun time, the PNE has everything for you. White trash, gang bangers, rednecks and all. I kid, I kid. A friend pointed that out to me after 2 middle-aged drunk chicks with mullets were thrown out of the beer garden for fighting, I swear!

Or if you're like me, you could just go to the PNE for the mini-donuts, and well, the nostalgia of childhood.

When I was younger my family and I used to go to the PNE every summer before school started in September. It was a fun time. My brother and I would always be at the Nintendo Truck playing the demo stations of NES and SNES games. As far as I can remember Nintendo always seemed to have a setup at the PNE. I remember when Mario Paint and the Super Scope Six came out, and they had the trailer part of an 18 wheeler truck decked out in Nintendo inside and out. (The games would be inside the trailer) It was AWESOME. When I got older we just stopped going to the PNE. And flash forward to 2008, and the last time I went to the PNE was I think 5 years ago, and before that, like 10 or 12 years ago. This year's Nintendo presence wasn't like my childhood memories. It was more like a regular tent, located at two parts of the PNE.

No comments: